Saturday, April 9, 2016

A Stand for Hope

Today, Caitlin Tobias invited me to the opening of the 2016 Relay for Life photography exhibition, Hope, as the theme for this year's Second Life Relay for Life is A Stand for Hope.

Twenty-one amazing photographers photographing 21 amazing cancer survivors and caregivers. Please visit... and don't only take in the amazing photos. Read the stories by clicking the kiosks by each set of photos. I did. I cried. Lots.

You see, we're fast approaching April 22.

That will be the date of the first anniversary of the death of my brother. My amazing brother. The best of all of us, taken far, far too soon by cancer. It also happens to be my mother's birthday - we lost her to cancer in 2008.

So this is a very bittersweet time for me. I refuse to dwell in the memories of the cancer invading, and taking, their lives. I have too many beautiful, funny memories of both of these brilliant people and I won't let the cancer corrupt those.

But, please, for me, for my mother and brother, and for all of the survivors and caregivers and those we've all lost, please take time to stop by the Hope exhibition, share in the stories... and yes, please make a donation. The American Cancer Society is a good organization, and worthy of your funds.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent Posts