Monday, May 25, 2015

The Great Mushroom Debate of 2015

Yeah, I'm making a third post about this entire mesh head debacle because HOLY FUCK PEOPLE.
Actually, this isn't so much about the mesh heads themselves... I believe they've become completely secondary to the volumes of harsh and ugly words written on both sides. It's pretty damn ridiculous that we're having these arguments over fucking mesh heads. I'm including myself in that, by the way.

It's clear that no one likes to have their opinion challenged, even those who profess to being completely open and appreciative to the discussion.

The problem I'm seeing is not that people disagree about mesh heads- it's that there are an awful lot of people who absolutely refuse to let anyone have their own opinion without pointing out in thousands of words how wrong their opinion is.

What the fuck? I mean, seriously? Does that not strike anyone else as completely bat-shit crazy?

Instead of mesh heads, can we spent the next few days arguing about why mushrooms are, or are not, the foulest things on the planet? It would be just as pointless. And anyone trying to tell anyone else that they're wrong would just be... well, stupid, really.

I like mesh heads.

I don't like mesh heads.

I like mushrooms.

I don't like mushrooms.

Does it need to be more than that? It's just a matter of taste, isn't it? I mean, sure, we could get into all the scientific reasons things taste differently to different people but in the long run, it doesn't really matter. Some people think mushrooms are best things they've ever tasted. Some, like me, are completely repulsed by them.

So. fucking. what.

I am not going to tell you you're wrong. I'm going to differ in my opinion, as related to me and how they taste to me. I might even think you're a big damn weirdo for liking the foul little things (mushrooms) but I'm going to still love you anyway.

Because it's just not that serious.

I'm not only seeing ugly words being written, but ugly attitudes, too- on BOTH sides of the debate. Just because you don't explicitly say "I think you're a giant cunt because you think this, and let me tell you why you're a big cunt for thinking that way" doesn't mean it isn't being conveyed in your attitude which, in fact, does shine through quite clearly in word choices.

Jesus, just let people have their opinions! You don't have to like or agree with their opinion, but at least give them a modicum of respect for having one.

That's why nothing gets solved on this planet. Not only do we all think our opinion is right- we think other's opinions are just wrong and there is no fucking middle ground to be had.

Is it so hard to say "I don't agree with your opinion but I respect you anyway"?

Jesus fuck. It makes me never want to leave my house (virtual or otherwise). Have we really become this mean as a society? Why do we have to be right all the time? Or better yet, why do we always refuse to let others be wrong? I hate to go all Dr. Phil but... what's more important? Being right or being happy?

Oh, I'm guilty, too. I may not spend a lot of time reading other blogs (and I'll be spending even less time reading them now), but I'll get lost in the comments section of a news story and sit there thinking that some people are just too damn stupid to live. I've taught myself over the years to sit on my hands and NOT comment, but I'm still thinking it.

As this post proves, I'm not above some good righteous indignation.

I'm not real proud of it, though.

Live and let live. Debate is great... but not to the point where you make people feel like shit for their opinions, unless we're talking about something far more important than mushrooms or mesh heads.

I'll step out of this mess now... I think I'll just go back to posting raunchy sex pictures and keeping my opinions to myself.

Oh, who am I kidding? No, I won't. This is my blog and I'll continue posting whatever the hell I want. What I won't do, however, is go to someone else's blog and shit all over their opinions.

1 comment:

  1. My GFs loves Mushrooms on her pizza.... idk, I don't pick them off, I just go with it.
    And maybe this head thing should just go with it!!!
    Just remember haters mean your popular!!! (someone is reading your blog)

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts