Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Milestones & Memories

I've just started doing Strawberry Singh's Blog Challenges and I have to admit, I'm quite enjoying them... though this is my first that isn't based around photography!

These are the instructions this week:
Meme instructions: Share when you started Second Life, when you started blogging about Second Life and talk about any Second Life blogging milestones you wish to share with your readers. Don’t forget to leave a link to your post in the comments.
Hmm... this is a difficult one for me, but I'm going to give it a go. First off, I'm not actually sure when I started SL. Beth Macbain was born on January 18, 2009, but she wasn't my first avi. And... I can't remember my first avi's name anymore to go look her up. Rather, I remember her name, but I don't remember how I spelled it! But it was either about 3 months earlier or 15 months earlier. I do remember I first joined SL on Halloween... I'm just not sure if that was 2007 or 2008!

(Hey, I'm an old lady... my memory isn't as sharp as it used to be! And I found her! I joined SL first on October 31, 2007!)

I'm also not sure when I started blogging because that original blog is long gone. It was during the Beth Macbain years, though. I have always been a writer. I started keeping a diary as soon as I could make words, and stories soon followed. My first "blog" was a Live Journal... I'm not even sure that site is still around. I wish I'd kept track of that because I remember writing copious amounts on 9/11 and I'd love to see what I wrote, but c'est la vie. 

I also got really into writing fanfic... don't laugh! Mine was good, I swear! My first love was the original Law & Order and I got involved with a group of ladies and we all wrote L&O fanfic and... wow... this was so long ago that we didn't have a place to post the stories online and the files were too big to email, so we'd print them out, make copies and mail them to each other.

After Law & Order came Buffy. Yes, Buffy. And I was deep, deep, deep into that world. As a matter of fact, the connections I made writing Buffy fanfic are the reasons I ended up moving to Los Angeles, being neighbors with one of the actors on the show and getting to know pretty much the full cast and crew. It was odd being sort of a mini-celebrity in that world. I had fans of my own and it was very strange. I would go to conventions and people would find out who I was and hunt me down to meet me. ME, the giant introvert!

I drank a lot back then... lol!

After the whole Buffy thing played out, I got into writing West Wing fic for a brief period but... eh, it faded pretty quickly. I stopped writing for several years, a lot of things changed in my world and I ended up back in Kentucky and in Second Life.

I wanted to start a Second Life blog, but I had no idea what I wanted it to be about. My first SL blog was a VERY short lived fashion blog. I think I made two or three posts before I abandoned that because it wasn't fun and it was SO overdone!

But I still wanted to do... something. And since I'd always been a diarist, I thought I'd give that a go. I had no idea if anyone would read it, but... what the hell, right? A diary is for oneself so it didn't really matter to me if I had a lot of readers.

My first post was August 18, 2013. It started on WordPress, but I started getting scared that it'd be taken down since it was very adult in nature and WP didn't allow adult content so I ported it all over to Blogger and have been very happy with it.

My first real "milestone" post came on November 3, 2013 and I didn't realize what a moment it was until I just went back and reread it. It was written after a bad breakup (a couple months after) when I went through a period of bleak depression and trying to justify a lot of stuff that didn't need to be justified. I had a revelation and wrote it all out... and now looking back at it, I see what was the start of a sort of metamorphosis. I was just realizing the sort of relationship I wanted in SL... the one I now have with Hugh, long before I knew he existed. Oh, if I'd only known what life had in store for me!

There were actually several posts around this same time that were pretty damn raw. My emotions and self-confidence were bouncing all over the place and it wasn't a pretty sight, but I needed this blog to be able to get it all out and work through it.

Then came the entry of February 1, 2014... this was the first time Hugh made any sort of appearance. We'd been seeing each other on the sly for a couple weeks and I finally came clean with the guy I was with at the time. Oh, heavens... that was some ugliness! But looking back now and knowing the man I was talking about meeting was Hugh... wowzah!

And then February 17, 2014, when I shared Hugh, my sunshine, my love, with the world.

As I'm writing this, I'm rereading my entire blog... god, there are so many milestones! I can't possibly list them on. In a way, each post IS its own milestone. It's been quite the walk down memory lane... and gosh, it feels like it's all happened so fast. I can't believe that over a year has really gone by since I met Hugh and seeing our relationship in words and photos... how lovely!

Not all the milestones revolved around Hugh... there were a lot of posts I'd completely forgotten about writing. Some frivolous, some dead serious. Learning of, and dealing with, my brother's cancer. Various bouts with depression. This blog has been all over the place, just like my brain.

I love it. The good and the bad... Every single day has brought me to this place. Has made me the person I am. Not always easy and not always pretty, but it's all me.

And I'm pretty fucking proud of that.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Beth for sharing your blogging journey. <3 I'm happy you are enjoying the memes and you absolutely should be proud of your blog! We put a lot of work and tears into our writings, it's definitely something to be proud of!

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts