Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Bitch, Please...

I've been composing a blog post that I doubt I'll ever publish. It's just an ongoing list of things I see in Second Life that piss me off.

But there is one thing I see time and time again that I think merits its own post, and that is women in SL who think being a bitch is something to be proud of.

You've all seen them... and seen their profiles. The ones where they not only talk about how fabulous they are, but how big of a bitch they are.

And take pride in it.

What?

Why?

When did being a raging thunder cunt become something desirable?

I have an issue with the label "feminist" in this day and age. Now before anyone jumps on me, I believe the term had its time and place... but that time has past. I know there is still inequality. Racial inequality, LGBTQ inequality, and yes, gender inequality.

How about we lump them all together now? Aren't we to the point where we should just believe that ALL humans should be considered equal? Because they are? I don't know about you, but I've moved beyond the point where I need to delineate any sort of inequality... it's all abhorant.

I prefer the word "humanist" to describe myself.

Having said that, I'm very well aware of the struggles women have had to be accepted as equal to men, and still have.
You know what sets us back? Bitch.

My fellow females, as much as I despise violence, when we encounter men who think it's okay to use the bitch word to refer to women (I'm looking at you, rap/hip-hop community), we really ought to punch them in the throat.

No, better yet, we ought to sit them down and make them listen to a well-reasoned, well thought out lecture on why this is a bad thing.

And you know why men get away with calling women bitches? Because we let them. And, you women who call yourselves that? Shame the fuck on you.

And grow the fuck up.

Any way you look at it, unless you're actually referring to a female canine, the word has a negative connotation.
Willie ain't no bitch!
Being a bitch is NOT a good thing.

It's bad enough when we women call ourselves that, and allow ourselves to be called that, but how about the massive insult we pay to men when we refer to them as little bitches? "He's such a little bitch."

I'm guilty of it, too. I've used that to describe men. And I've called women bitches, too.

So shame on me, too.

You know what I pride myself in, though? Being kind.

There is so much hate in this world. So much cruelty. Why add to it? Why?

Sure, it's bitten me on the ass more than once. Led me to being a doormat in some situations, and being taken advantage of.

So what?

It hurts, sure.

But at the end of the day, I sleep better knowing I've been a kind human being. I'll take that any day over wearing a mask of bitchiness and treating anyone like dirt, even if they might deserve it.

So when I see all these women in SL proudly wearing the bitch label, and the tacky jewelry that goes along with it (the "bitch" necklaces, etc.), it infuriates me.

Because you are taking the issue of women's inequality back so many steps.

You're making it okay for women who fight hard to be considered "management material" in the workplace to be demeaned at every turn. Strong, smart, independent women... instead of being respected for those traits, we're called bitchy.

Strong, smart, independent men aren't called bitches. They're called alpha.

How sad is that?

So, ladies, when you loudly and proudly proclaim yourself to be a bitch, you are giving men permission to treat you as less than.

And, if we're being perfectly honest, you're giving me that permission, too, because like it or not, I'm going to think of myself as being just a bit better than you are. I think you're an idiot.
It's okay to be feminine, and it's okay to be strong and not be a doormat. You can be all sorts of girly, and sexy, and pink, and pretty, and smart, and capable, and forceful, and demanding, and soft...

Men can be, too.

And, I suppose, if it's your choice, you can be a bitch.

But again, why? Why that word?

Why not be yourself, the woman you want to be and proudly proclaim that you're being exactly who you want to be, but that it doesn't make you a bitch?

I've jumbled this all up in a stream of unedited thoughts, but the jist of what I'm trying to say is this- Don't call yourself a bitch, and don't allow any man to call you one, either. And if you see a man, or another woman, doing it, call them on it. We need to stop this shit.

Something to think about maybe? Please?

1 comment:

  1. Words are important.. and I totally agree with what you're saying in your post..

    ReplyDelete

Recent Posts